Friday, April 9, 2010

Understanding Evil In Our Own Hearts

"The person who understands the evil in his own heart is the only person who is useful, fruitful, and solid in his beliefs and obedience. Others only delude themselves and thus upset families, churches, and all other relationships. In their self-pride and judgment of others, they show great inconsistencies." (John Owen, Sin and Temptation)

"This same point of recognition also awakened the slumbering spirit of journalist Terry Anderson, who had been held captive by terrorists in Lebanon. Anderson said that during his captivity he saw much in his captors that he hated and despised. The more he saw them and talked to them, the more he was repelled by them. 'Yet,' he added, 'in a strange way there was nothing in them I had not also seen in myself.'" [Quoted in Ravi Zacharias, Can Man Live Without God?, Dallas: Word, 1994), 143]

"The heart is deceitful and wicked above all things, and desperately wicked; Who can know it? I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings." (Jeremiah 17:9-10)

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24)

No comments: