Monday, October 15, 2012

Greatest Discovery: Chloroform or Christ?

“It will always remain true that a man’s greatest glory is not what he has done but what God has done for him. It might well be claimed that the discovery of the use of chloroform saved the world more pain than any other single medical discovery. Once someone asked Sir James Simpson, who pioneered its use, “What do you regard as your greatest discovery?” expecting the answer, “Chloroform.” But Simpson answered, “My greatest discovery was that Jesus Christ is my Saviour.”

Even the greatest man can say in the presence of God only,

“Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to thy Cross I cling;
Naked, come to thee for dress;
Helpless, look to thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Saviour, or I die.”

Pride bars from heaven; humility is the passport to the presence of God.”

(William Barclay, The Gospel of Luke, commenting on Luke 10:17-20, 136)

No comments: