Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It has been given back.

Never say about anything, "I have lost it," but only "I have given it back." Is your child dead? "It has been given back." Is your wife dead? "She has been given back." "I have had my farm taken away." Very well, this too has been given back. "Yet is was a rascal who took it away." But what concern is it of yours by whose instrumentality the Giver called for its return? So long as He gives it you, take care of it as of a thing that is not your own, as travellers treat their inn.

Epictetus, from The Manual.

"And he [Job] said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb,
And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD.'" (Job 1:21)

Heavenly Father, may I be a good steward of all that You temporarily entrust to me. May I never cling covetously to Your creations but view them as momentary gifts that constantly remind me to worship You alone, the Creator. May I always bless Your name--when You give and even when You take away--regardless of the means by which You choose to do so. Amen.

No comments: